How to Light a Charcoal Barbecue
Lighting a barbecue is not difficult when you follow our simple set of BBQ lighting instructions. There are some techniques to bear in mind to help your charcoal barbecue get started first time – enabling you to enjoy your food in no time at all.
- Ensure that the charcoal you are using is completely dry. Any moisture to the charcoal may produce excess smoke and increase the chances of a full on fire on your BBQ. Wet charcoal is also much harder to light.
- Place the charcoal into your BBQ grill, remembering to cover the entire base. If you are planning on cooking large amounts of food, or different types, then you could create different piles of charcoal within the grill.
- Try and create a small pile of charcoal in the centre of the grill.
- Use some lighter fluid or gel onto the coals and wait patiently until it is absorbed. This will help you reach your desired burning heat much faster. Be careful not to use excessive amounts of lighter fluid, the bottle should contain instructions on a suitable amount.
- Light the charcoal and burn for at least 20 minutes before placing the food on the grill. Sometimes this process can last up to an hour depending on the BBQ and the amount of charcoal. Once the charcoal has turned white or ashy then you will be ready to cook your food.
Remember to always operate a BBQ safely, keeping children and pets away from the grill at all times. If you carefully follow these steps on how to light a charcoal barbecue then you will be enjoying the unique taste of BBQ food in no time at all.
0345 450 0778